Built in 1858 for Melancthon W. Hubbell, the Hubbell House has Queen Anne and Gothic Revival details, although it has undergone numerous style changes through the years. Melancthon was the first teller of the Fort Wayne branch of the State Bank of Indiana upon its organization in 1836. Alongside him were Samuel Hanna, president of the Board of Directors, and Hugh McCullough as cashier (McCullough later served as Secretary of the Treasury for Abraham Lincoln). Beginning in 1850, Melancthon joined Joseph and David F. Comparant in becoming pioneers of the grain trade in northern Indiana. Their firm, called Camparet, Hubbel & Co., had its warehouse on the canal wharf at the foot of Lafayette Street. Because of its location, they were widely known up and down the Wabash and Erie Canals. Melancthon was a constituent of Christ Church (later called Trinity Church), and in 1843, held a positian as a city alderman. He retired from Comparet, Hubbel & Co. in 1860, then moved to Toledo, Ohio. He died on May 6, 1883 at the age of 73 in Trenton, Missouri.
The Home was initially a one story, two room house. During the 1880’s it was drastically transformed into a large two story double house with Queen Ann and Gothic details.